Leadership for a Democratic Society Grade Waivers
GS-14 Federal employees (and equivalents) who have executive-level duties must request a grade waiver to participate in the Leadership for a Democratic Society (LDS) program.
To request a grade waiver for LDS, submit the following to FEIRegistrar@opm.gov:
- Current resume
- Memo/letter from the participant’s supervisor that clearly states how the participant qualifies for the course and why the grade requirement should be waived
What to include in the memo/letter
The memo/letter should be addressed to Dr. Heath Harding, Faculty Chair - Leadership for a Democratic Society and address:
- Length of time the employee has been in the GS-14 position. Typically, we like to see that they have met the time-in-grade requirement that is standard for movement to the GS-15 position and are on track for promotion to the GS-15 grade level.
- What is the individual’s leadership role and responsibilities within the agency; i.e., what are their executive leadership responsibilities?
- Describe the individual’s current leadership track.
- Other leadership development course(s) the individual has attended
- What makes LDS the next step in the individual’s leadership development
There is no specific formatting guidance associated with the memo/letter.